Sunday, April 27, 2008

Keeping a Journal



To get my transformation started I knew I needed to start journaling again. I know from this experience that there is no better way to assess your current situation and track your progress than to keep a detailed account of your nutrition and workouts. Here is a photo of my journal: small size, with a hard plastic cover and an elastic closure. It's easy to carry everywhere and durable.
I bought this one right at Borders.

While participating in the contest, I journaled every day for 12 weeks. Now, of course this isn't something that someone would need to do all day, everyday for three months like I did, but it is usually recommended that you track your diet for at least two weeks to really gage what you are eating and make the necessary
adjustments as you progress. When it comes to journaling your workouts, it's a great way to keep track of the weight you are lifting, how many reps you are able to do and even how you feel pre and post-workout. I'll elaborate more on each of these topics in my next posts.

Today, I'm still journaling, but without the contest I'm a little more lax with how detailed my entries are (I've developed quite a few codes and a lot of short-hand now!). In my journal I also have all of my measurements and stats from day one. I love to look back through my little book and see how far I've come, how much strength I've gained from my workouts, and if I have plateaued I can look at my diet over the last week or two and see why. I've practically filled up my entire first journal and have another waiting for me. I wouldn't want to continue on without one. My journal has become part of my routine. It's an awesome tool.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Wow Laura..just read your entire blog - word per word. Awesome, powerful stuff considering you were one of the finalists in the 1st TT Transformation Challenge. the journal you keep, the what didn't work and what worked...very nice!

Learned alot from your nutrition and look forward to keeping up with your blog on a routine basis here.

Great job!

Andy